Amazon's Alexa to Team Up With Nest and Vivint to Make Smarter Homes in Mansfield and Beyond
Jan 09, 2016 04:22PM, Published by Kevin, Categories: Home+Garden
The announcement was made via press release and at the 2016 Consumer Electronics Show in Las Vegas.
Integration with Amazon's Alexa through the Vivint Sky smart home platform marks the first time the voice-enabled device will work with a managed smart home system. This relationship allows Vivint customers to use their voice to control their smart home.
Vivint customers can to talk to Alexa, the cloud-based voice service that powers Amazon Echo, using the Vivint skill and their home will respond with context-aware actions. For example, simply saying “Alexa, tell Vivint I’m going to bed” can turn off the lights, lock the doors, arm the security system and turn down the thermostat.
Customers can connect Amazon Echo to their Vivint smart home in three easy steps using the Amazon Alexa app. From inside the home, users now have the option to control their smart home using their voice with Amazon Echo, or to use the Vivint SkyControl panel or Vivint mobile app.
Using Amazon Echo, customers can control the following smart home experiences using the Vivint skill:
- Smart door locks – Through Alexa, customers can find out whether doors are locked and can ask Alexa to lock them.
- Smart security – Customers can ask Alexa whether the security system is enabled and arm the system to “stay” or “away” mode.
- Smart thermostat – Vivint customers can ask Alexa to adjust the temperature through set point changes or by turning the fan on or off.
- Lighting control – Customers can ask Alexa to dim lights or to turn them on or off.
- Garage door – Customers can ask Alexa whether the garage door is open and ask that it be closed.
By integrating with both Amazon and Nest, Vivint offers an easy way for Nest Thermostat users to change the temperature from anywhere in their home. Current Nest Thermostat users can integrate with a Vivint smart home today. The Nest Learning Thermostat will also be available nationwide as part of all Vivint smart home packages beginning Spring 2016.
Information provided by Vivint.