Rice & Beans: A Winning Combination
Sep 21, 2016 01:57PM ● Published by Melanie Heisinger
Photo courtesy of AllRecipes.com.
Black Beans and Rice
- 1 teaspoon olive oil
- 1 onion, chopped
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 3/4 cup uncooked white rice
- 1 1/2 cups low sodium, low fat vegetable broth
- 1 teaspoon ground cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper
- 3 1/2 cups canned black beans, drained
- In a stockpot over medium-high heat, heat the oil. Add the onion and garlic and saute for 4 minutes. Add the rice and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add the vegetable broth, bring to a boil, cover and lower the heat and cook for 20 minutes. Add the spices and black beans.
Black Beans and Rice Chili
- 2 tablespoons oil, divided
- 1 pound ground beef
- 1/2 cup diced onion
- 1/2 cup diced red bell pepper
- 1 (7 ounce) package ZATARAIN'S® Black Beans and Rice Mix
- 2 cups water
- 1 (14.5 ounce) can diced tomatoes, undrained
- 1 cup frozen corn kernels
- 1 tablespoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/4 teaspoon crushed red pepper
- Assorted toppings, such as shredded cheese, sour cream and chopped fresh cilantro
- Heat oil in large nonstick skillet on medium-high heat. Add ground beef, onion and bell pepper; cook and stir until meat is no longer pink. Drain fat.
- Stir in remaining 1 tablespoon oil, Rice Mix, water, tomatoes, corn, chili powder, garlic powder and crushed red pepper.
- Bring to boil. Reduce heat to low; cover and simmer 25 minute or until most of the water is absorbed and rice is tender. Stir occasionally to prevent rice and beans from sticking. Serve with assorted toppings, if desired.
Mexican Bean and Rice Salad
- 2 cups cooked brown rice
- 1 (15 ounce) can kidney beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15 ounce) can black beans, rinsed and drained
- 1 (15.25 ounce) can whole kernel corn, drained
- 1 small onion, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, seeded and diced
- 1 lime, zested and juiced
- 1/4 cup chopped cilantro leaves
- 1 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 1/2 teaspoons ground cumin
- salt to taste
- In a large salad bowl, combine the brown rice, kidney beans, black beans, corn, onion, green pepper, jalapeno peppers, lime zest and juice, cilantro, garlic, and cumin. Lightly toss all ingredients to mix well, and sprinkle with salt to taste.
- Refrigerate salad for 1 hour, toss again, and serve.
All content courtesy of AllRecipes.com.