10 FREE (or really inexpensive) family things to do over Winter Break
Dec 20, 2012 05:47PM
● By Lisa Drake
Just one more day before the kids are out for two weeks for winter break! Like many people, we have more time than money, so I thought I'd share my 10 favorite FREE (or really inexpensive) things to do with the kids in and around Mansfield!
1. Saturday, Dec. 22, 29 and Jan. 5th the Arlington Skatium offers FREE skating classes (on your first visit) at 10:00am. You can then stay for more fun during the Public Skate until 6pm. They have skates for young skaters, and even PVC skate trainers to help! Their first Preschool Skate of the year is January 4th, for only $4/person. Visit their website at http://www.frontline-connect.com/wpskatium/
2. Take the bikes, scooters or just walk the Mansfield Linear Trail starting at James McKnight Park to Town Park. Turn around and head back after a spending some time on the swings, or keep walking to a nice lunch in downtown Mansfield at MaryLou's Sandwich Shoppe or Jalisco's before working it off on the way back!
3. Learn Geocacheing at Cedar Hill State Park during their FREE workshop on Dec. 29th. Limited space available and registration is required. Normal park entrance fees apply ($7/person, 12 and under FREE). http://www.tpwd.state.tx.us/calendar/geocaching-101-55
4. Sign up for a free concession coupon to enjoy at your next visit to Mansfield Cinemark Theatres; https://www.cinemark.com/weekly-email.aspx?status=subscribed&b=0&exists=1
5. Texas Parks and Wildlife stocked the pond at Rose Park in Mansfield with trout for winter fishing. Take your poles and enjoy these easy to catch fish, which thrive in the cold temperatures. Leave the worms in the ground, and take a can of corn, they love it! Anyone over the age of 16 requires a fishing license, which you can get at Walmart!
6. For a $10 donation, enjoy their monthly Movie Night at Arlington Animal Shelter on Dec. 28th. This month’s movie is An All Dogs Christmas. http://myarlingtontx.com/calendar/?ai1ec_cat_ids=69
7. Try playing a round of disc golf at Sonora Park in Kennedale. http://www.cityofkennedale.com/index.aspx?NID=183
8. Jan. 2 children 3-6 years can enjoy “Time to Rhyme” storytime at Mansfield Public Library at 10:30am, http://www.mansfield-tx.gov/departments/library/programs/children/#listener
9. Take a hike on Jan. 3rd, at Dogwood Canyon Audubon Center in Cedar Hill for their Free First Thursday. http://dogwoodcanyon.audubon.org/
10. Build a birdhouse at the Home Depot FREE Kid’s Workshop on Saturday, Jan. 5th; http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/catalog/servlet/ContentView?pn=HT_WS_KidsWorkshops&storeId=10051&langId=-1&catalogId=10053
Do you know of any other FREE and FUN FAMILY activities? Please share them!
For more family fun ideas, visit me at www.havingfuninthetexassun.blogspot.com.