Citrus Pound Cake with Cranberry Sauce
Nov 11, 2013 07:44PM
By mary phillips
Citrus Pound Cake with Fresh Cranberry Sauce
This heavenly pound cake is the perfect ending to a holiday meal. Rich and moist and not overly sweet – whip one up and delight your family and friends!
· 4 large eggs
· 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
· 1 teaspoon grated orange zest
· 1 teaspoon grated lemon zest
· 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature, plus more for the pan
· 2 1/4 cups granulated sugar
· 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
· 2 cups all-purpose flour
· 2 cups fresh or frozen cranberries
· 1/2 cup fresh orange juice
· 2 tablespoons orange liqueur (optional)
1. Heat oven to 325° F. Butter a 9-by-5-inch loaf pan.
2. In a small bowl, whisk together the eggs, vanilla, and zests. In a large bowl, with an electric mixer on medium-high, beat the butter for 2 minutes. Add 1 1/4 cups of the sugar and the salt and beat for 2 minutes. Slowly add the egg mixture. Beat for 3 minutes. Reduce speed to low and slowly add the flour. Transfer the batter to the prepared pan. Batter will be very thick! Bake for 60 to 70 minutes.
3. Transfer pan to a wire rack to cool for 10 minutes. Using a knife, loosen the cake from pan. Invert it onto the rack. Turn it over again onto a serving plate.
4. In a saucepan, over medium heat, simmer the cranberries, orange juice, and the remaining sugar until the berries burst, 5 to 7 minutes. Reduce heat to medium-low and simmer for 5 minutes. Strain the syrup into a bowl and stir in the liqueur (if using). Slice the cake and serve with the warm syrup.
Wishing you warm and happy holidays!