Battle of the Nines Charity Golf Classic Benefits Mansfield-Area Residents in Need
Aug 18, 2016 03:20PM
By Melanie Heisinger
Decorated golf carts ready to start the Battle of the Nines Charity Classic.
Whether it be as a sponsor or player, you are invited to become a part of this fabulous event. This year's Battle for the Nines Charity Golf Classic Tournament will be taking place September 23rd and 24th at the Walnut Creek Country Club.
- Three Mansfield families who are coping with cancer and struggling financially.
- A WCCC employee who had become homeless due to unfortunate circumstances, get into an apartment, and set up with beds and bedding for her three children.
- The family of a 48 year-old mother and cancer survivor who died suddenly following knee surgery with medical and funeral expenses. Because of the cancer, the family wasn’t able to get insurance for this young mother.
- A young grandmother who needed eye surgery but didn’t have insurance and wasn’t old enough for Medicare.
- The family of a WCCC employee with medical/hospital, ambulance and funeral costs when their young daughter’s life ended unexpectedly.
- A MISD teacher (mother of 4 girls) who has fought breast cancer for several years was recently told the cancer has metastasized to her lungs, liver, and bones. They have been overwhelmed with bills and other expenses
- Helped a family whose father had to have gall bladder surgery in Houston before Christmas and didn’t have any insurance.
- Helped a young mother rebound from her 3rd bout with cancer. Only in her mid-20’s and she is struggling with mounting medical bills, limited ability to work all while trying to be the best mother she can.
- Assisted two WCCC employees who encountered unexpected health conditions and mounting medical bills
- A young 14 yr old MISD girl has been battling and rare disease (MELAS syndrome), which has recently taken her vision and started to impact on her nervous system.
We were able to get in touch with Todd Chappell, the Chairman of the Board for Battle of the Nines, to learn more about the mission, goals, and details surrounding the upcoming tournament.
Tell me about yourself. What's your role in the tournament?
TC: I recently became Chairman of the Board for Battle of the Nines. I host regular meetings to create a fun and successful charity event. I’ve participated in the Battle of the Nines event for several years now and have been on the board for the last two years. I truly enjoy seeing local families benefit greatly from our fundraising efforts. Our board is made up of people who care about the lives of Mansfield families, and our goal is to give back 100% of the funds raised to those in need.
How can people get involved?
How can someone help during the tournament?
For more information about the tournament, you can visit their website. We hope to see you there!