4 Tasty Back-to-School Snacks
Aug 08, 2017 09:08AM ● Published by Melanie Heisinger
Courtesy of AllRecipe.com.
Whole Wheat Blueberry Muffins
- 1 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
- 3/4 cup white sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/3 cup vegetable oil
- 1 egg
- 1/3 cup milk
- 1/2 cup unsweetened applesauce
- 1 pint fresh blueberries
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F (200 degrees C). Grease 12 muffin cups, or line with paper liners. Whisk together the flour, sugar, salt, and baking powder in a large bowl.
- Whisk vegetable oil, egg, milk, and applesauce together in a separate bowl until smooth, and stir the liquid ingredients into the flour mixture until moistened. Lightly stir in the blueberries. Spoon the batter into the prepared muffin cups, filling them 2/3 full.
- Bake muffins in the preheated oven until they rise and the tops are golden brown, about 20 minutes. A toothpick inserted into the center of a muffin should come out clean.
Easy Snack Wraps
- 12 (10 inch) flour tortillas
- 1 (8 ounce) package cream cheese
- 1 head lettuce
- 1 (6 ounce) package sliced deli-style turkey
- 2 cups shredded carrots
- 2 cups minced tomato
- Spread cream cheese evenly over the tortillas. Top the cream cheese with lettuce leaves. Arrange the turkey slices in even layers on top of the lettuce. Sprinkle the carrots and tomato over the turkey slices. Roll the tortillas into wraps. Cut the wraps diagonally into bite-sized pieces. Secure with toothpicks.
Homemade Granola Bars
- 2 cups rolled oats
- 1/2 cup shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup honey
- 2 tablespoons creamy peanut butter
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/8 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F (165 degrees C). Grease a 9-inch square baking dish.
- Spread the oats and coconut evenly across a baking sheet.
- Toast oats and coconut in preheated oven until browned, about 10 minutes; transfer to a large mixing bowl.
- Mix honey, peanut butter, vanilla extract, and salt in a saucepan over medium-low heat. Cook and stir until smooth. Pour the honey mixture over the oats and coconut; stir to coat. Spread the mixture evenly into the prepared baking dish.
- Bake in preheated oven until beginning to dry, about 15 minutes for crunchy granola bars, less if you like them chewy. Cool completely before cutting.
Homemade Fruit Leather
- 1 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup lemon juice
- 4 cups peeled, cored and chopped apple
- 4 cups peeled, cored and chopped pears
- Preheat the oven to 150 degrees F (65 degrees C). Cover a baking sheet with a layer of plastic wrap or parchment paper.
- In the container of a blender, combine the sugar, lemon juice, apple and pear. Cover and puree until smooth. Spread evenly on the prepared pan. Place the pan on the top rack of the oven.
- Bake for 5 to 6 hours, leaving the door to the oven partway open. Fruit is dry when the surface is no longer tacky and you can tear it like leather. Roll up on the plastic wrap and store in an airtight jar.
All recipes courtesy of AllRecipe.com.