Mansfield Water Utilities Celebrates 100th Birthday & You're Invited
Sep 20, 2017 07:11PM ● Published by Melanie Heisinger
Mansfield's Water Utilities team planning games for the event.
In 1917, Milton May Farr improved the water supply in Mansfield. Although he wasn't the first to bring drinking water to Mansfield, he certainly was a pioneer and made a huge impact on the community. This year, the city wanted to celebrate all those involved with Mansfield Water Utilities, including the community.
We got in touch with Stephanie Zavala, Public Education Specialist for Water Utilities and Environmental Services, to learn more about this fun city-wide event.
"We have two events celebrating the 100 year birthday," Zavala told us. "The first is a community-wide event that everyone is invited to. This is the birthday party that will be at The LOT Downtown from 5-8 pm, tomorrow, Sept 21. We partnered with Third Thursday who is having a program the same night. We were asked to be the entertainment."
The Farr Best Theater also turns 100 this year and will be having a brief program and then showing Tarzan at the theater at 6 pm. This was the first film shown at the theater in 1917.
The book that Zavala and Shipley collaborated on will be released on Oct 12 at the Farr Best Theater. The private book launch coincides with "Imagine a Day Without Water," a national campaign to raise awareness of the value of water and investing in infrastructure.
A limited number of copies will be printed, so Zavala invites local Mansfield residents to reserve a copy of the book. "They can reserve a copy by signing up for the Water 360 monthly newsletter at mansfieldtexas.gov/water360 and then emailing us at firstname.lastname@example.org."
Expect to see things like Hungry Hungry Hippos being renamed to "Thirsty Thirsty Barrels," the focus being all about conservation where the players will be residents trying to save rain drops. "The winners of the games will get tickets that they can exchange for prizes, including our very own official birthday t-shirt and official birthday cupcake designed by Creations Bakery," Zavala said.
The Water Utilities Games:
- "Poops and Splatters" aka Chutes and Ladders (learn about the water system)
- "Defend Your Drain Hole" aka Cornhole (learn about what NOT to put down your drain, some are not as obvious as people think.)
- "Battle Dig aka Battleship" (learn to call 811 before digging to prevent busting utility lines)
- "Stormwater Foosball" (learn why it's important that only rain go down the stormdrain)
- "Angry Larvae" aka Angry Birds (learn why to dump puddles to prevent mosquito larvae from growing)
- "Water Drop Pool" aka Soccer Pool (learn some water facts)
- "Rain Barrel Pong" (conserving water in rain barrels)
- "Thirsty Thirsty Barrels" aka Hungry Hungry Hippos (save as many drops as you can)
Come join Mansfield Water Utilities as we celebrate our 100 year birthday complete with family friendly life sized games such as Hungry Hungry Hippo and Battleship. Come celebrate and lea... Read More »
"Everything is free," Zavala said of the event. "We just ask for those newsletter sign-ups. We have so many free programs, services, events, and community service opportunities that we are trying to get out to more people."
We hope to see you there!