Cafe Sicilia's Recipe for Homemade Basil Pesto
Jan 02, 2019 01:22PM
(enough for 4 servings of pasta)
- 4 oz fresh basil leaves
- 1 oz pine nuts
- 2 fat, peeled garlic cloves
- a large pinch of sea salt flakes
- freshly ground black pepper
- 2 oz freshly grated Parmesan cheese
- 4fl oz extra virgin olive oil
Place the basil, pine nuts, garlic and salt into a mortar and crush with a pestle. Bash and grind it all together into a paste. Add the Parmesan. Gradually add the oil. Work it all together into a creamy sauce. Add the black pepper and more salt to taste.
You could use a food processor but a mortar and pestle is so much more fun!
Recipe courtesy Cafe Sicilia. Open PDF below for a printable version of this recipe. For more tasty recipes from Cafe Sicilia click here.