Cafe Sicilia's Easter Lemon Cake Recipe
Apr 03, 2019 11:54AM
Easter Lemon Cake with Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
Adapted from an Ina Garten recipe (Lemon and Poppy Seed Cake)
- 1 cup buttermilk, shaken
- 2 sticks unsalted butter, at room temperature
- 2 1/2 cups granulated sugar, divided
- 4 extra-large eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 1/3 cup grated lemon zest, loosely packed (4 to 5 large lemons)
- 2 3/4 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 1 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/2 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 cup freshly squeezed lemon juice, divided
- 1 tablespoon Limoncello Liquor (Optional)
Preheat the oven to 350°F. Thoroughly spray a Bundt pan with baking spray that contains flour, such as Baker's Joy. Sift together the flour, baking powder, baking soda, corn starch and salt. Using an electric mixer cream the butter and 2 cups of sugar until light yellow and fluffy. With the mixer on low speed add the eggs one at a time. Add the vanilla and lemon zest. Scrape down the sides of the bowl with a rubber spatula to ensure that all the ingredients are incorporated well. Add 1/4 cup of the lemon juice to the buttermilk.
With the mixer on low speed, alternately add the flour mixture and the buttermilk mixture in thirds, beginning and ending with the flour. Scrape the bowl with the spatula.
Spoon the batter into the Bundt pan. Smooth the top and bake for 40 to 50 minutes, until a cake tester comes out clean.
When the cake is done , allow it to cool in the pan for 10 minutes, then turn it out onto a baking rack set over a baking tray. While the cake is cooling place the remaining 1/2 cup of sugar and the remaining 1/2 cup lemon juice in a small saucepan. Cook over high heat until the sugar dissolves. Add the Limoncello. Slowly spoon the warm lemon syrup over the cake allowing it to be absorbed into the cake. Allow the cake to cool completely.
Lemon Cream Cheese Frosting
- 4 oz Philadelphia Cream Cheese, room temperature
- 2 oz unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 8 oz powdered sugar, sifted
Using an electric mixer beat together the cream cheese, butter and lemon juice. Gradually add the sugar, mixing well after each addition.
Drizzle over the cooled cake. If the frosting is too thick add a little more lemon juice or water to thin it out to the desired consistency.
For more delicious recipes from Cafe Sicilia click here.