Skip to main content Skip to main content

Mansfield Magazine

North American Reptile Breeders Conference - Arlington

Attention Vendors who sell the following ONLY: -ALL non-indigenous venomous snakes -African rock python (Python sebae) -Asiatic rock python (Python molurus) green anaconda (Eunectes murinus) reticulated python (Python reticulatus), and southern African python, (Python natalensis) -A hybrid of any species listed above -Effective April 1, 2008, you will need to have $60 Commercial Controlled Exotic Snake Permit If you plan to sell any of the snakes listed belowSellers will need to provide a receipt to the purchaser for all transactions involving the snakes listed above, as purchaser will have 21 days to get their $20 Recreational Controlled Exotic Snake Permit. The Texas Parks and Wildlife Commission has approved the publication of proposed regulations that would require a new permit for people who sell, transport or possess venomous snakes not indigenous to Texas, plus four species of pythons and one species of anaconda. Under House Bill 12, enacted by the 80th Texas Legislature, the commission is required to establish permits authorizing the possession and transportation of the snakes listed above. The bill also prohibits the release of these snakes into the wild in Texas. Texas Parks & Wildlife - New Nongame Regulations Frequently Asked Questions The proposed regulations would require anyone who possesses one of the controlled exotic snakes, but does not sell snakes, to buy a $20 Recreational Controlled Exotic Snake Permit, Permit No. 580. People who buy a controlled exotic snake from a pet store could use their sales receipt as a temporary recreational permit good for 21 days, giving them time to buy an official Texas Parks and Wildlife Department permit. Dealers who possess or transport controlled exotic snakes for sale would need to pay a $60 Commercial Controlled Exotic Snake Permit. This permit would be required for each permanent place of business where controlled exotic snakes are sold. Permitted businesses would need to maintain a daily record of snake sales, which would have to be kept for two years and made available to TPWD upon request, Permit No. 581. Either permit could be obtained anywhere Texas hunting and fishing licenses are sold. When you go to obtain your permit, be sure to tell them the permit number you are wanting to purchase.

Date & Time

February 8, 2015

11:00AM - 4:00PM


Like what you're reading? Subscribe to Mansfield Magazine's free newsletter to get regular updates

Embed this content on your website